About Helena Lodge #3
Helena Lodge #3 circa 1900
Helena Lodge No. 3 was originally chartered by the Grand Lodge of Colorado, AF & AM as Helena City Lodge No. 10 on November 7, 1865 in the frontier mining town of "Helena City", Montana Territory.
On display in our Grand Lodge Museum is a Masonic apron that belonged to Brother Zerah French who was the first Entered Apprentice initiated by our lodge, in 1865. The apron was presented to the lodge by brother French's family.
In January, 1866 Helena City Lodge No. 10 joined with Virginia City Lodge No. 43 (chartered by the Grand Lodge of Kansas) and Montana Lodge No. 9 (Grand Lodge of Colorado) both in the booming mining town of Virginia City, Montana Territory to form the Grand Lodge of Montana, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The Lodges drew lots for their respective new lodge numbers and became Virginia City Lodge No. 1, Montana Lodge No. 2 and Helena Lodge No. 3. (In 1950 Montana Lodge No. 2 relocated to Ennis Montana.)
For more Montana Masonic history, Vigilantes and 3- 7-77 visit the Grand Lodge web site.
NOTE: PRINCE HALL RECOGNITIONThe Grand Lodge of Montana has mutual recognition and full amity with:the Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge F & A M For the States of Oregon, Idaho, and Montana, andthe Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge F & A M of Connecticut, andThe Prince Hall Grand Lodge of Colorado (Wyoming, Utah & South Korea)inter-lodge visitation and Masonic communication is permitted for all members of these Prince Hall Lodges and Montana Lodges.