No. 3 was originally chartered by the Grand Lodge of Colorado, AF
& AM as Helena City Lodge No. 10 on November 7, 1865 in the frontier
mining town of "Helena City", Montana Territory.
On display in our Grand Lodge Museum is a Masonic apron that belonged
to Brother Zerah French who was the first Entered Apprentice initiated
by our lodge, in 1865. The apron was presented to
the lodge by brother French's family.
In January, 1866 Helena City Lodge No. 10
joined with Virginia City Lodge No. 43 (chartered by the Grand Lodge
of Kansas) and Montana Lodge No. 9 (Grand Lodge of Colorado) both in
the booming mining town of Virginia City, Montana Territory to form
the Grand Lodge of Montana,
Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The Lodges drew lots for their
respective new lodge numbers and became
City Lodge No. 1, Montana Lodge No. 2 and Helena Lodge No. 3.
(In 1950 Montana Lodge No. 2 relocated to Ennis Montana.)
For more Montana
Masonic history, Vigilantes and 3- 7-77 visit the
Grand Lodge web site